2019 SOMSA Conference Information
SOMSA is the leading source of formal and informal educational opportunities for Oral and Maxillofacial Practice Managers. We invite you to attend our 2019 conference.
Click here to view overflow hotel information.
When: Sunday, April 7 – Wednesday, April 10, 2019
Where: Marriott Savannah Riverfront
When: Sunday pre-conference courses 8 am to 1 pm, plus sponsor champagne reception with prize drawing from 5-6 pm and opening night reception from 6-8 pm, plus entertainment
Monday sessions are 8 am to 3 pm, with cocktail hour & dinner at 6:30 pm
Tuesday sessions are 8 am to 3 pm, with optional downtown excursion from 6 to 11 pm
Wednesday sessions are 8 am to 1 pm, with SOMSA Business Meeting and vendor drawing near conference close
The dress code for sessions is business casual. The dress code for Sunday evening's reception is casual. Please wear your best Southern Cocktail to the Monday evening social hour and dinner. For Tuesday evening, dress casually.
Check out our Travel Timing section to plan your trip.
Spooky in Savannah :: Tuesday Evening Optional Excursions
Tuesday April 9th, 7pm – 9pm
- Members and Guests: $50 (before 3/6/19; $60 after)
- Sponsors: Vendors and Sponsors: $60
- SAVANNAH WALKING HAUNTED PUB CRAWL
- Explore Savannah's most historic—and haunted—bars and pubs on Savannah's #1-rated Pub Crawl. You'll hear the ghost stories of these haunted locations, while standing where the events happened. Take advantage of Savannah's open carry laws, you can carry your alcoholic beverage on the streets, making a pub crawl truly...interesting. Professionally trained historical and paranormal guide, 2 hours of true and researched stories, stops at 3-5 haunted locations.
- You'll be taken on an unforgettable journey into some of Savannah's most haunted. And creepy...bars and pubs. Along the way you'll be able to enjoy the great drinks that Savannah has to offer while you walk from one bar to the next. On this 2-hour walking tour of Savannah's most haunted and historic pubs and bars, you'll be entertained as you hear the stories of Savannah's dark past, and our haunted present!
- Duration: 2 hours
- PEDALING HAUNTED PUB CRAWL
- Hop onboard for some hair-raising tales from our guides. Their expertise on our city's haunted past will keep you mesmerized and looking over your shoulder as we creep past 2 hours of some truly remarkable scenes from war battles, mass graves and especially our haunted houses and landmarks. And don't fear, you will have ample opportunity to pick up adult beverages along the way! You will not forget this Slow Ride and watch out for those we cannot see. The Slow Ride bikes have 15 seats each—10 pedal seats, and 5 non-pedaling seats—so all fitness levels are welcome.
- Duration: 2 hours
Joe Mull, M.Ed., is our keynote speaker, and he'll be opening the conference with two sessions, "Motivating Healthcare Teams in an Era of Change, More Work, & Fewer Resources" and "No More Team Drama: Ending the Gossip, Cliques, & Other Crap that Damages Workplace Teams." Watch Joe's 80-second video (https://youtu.be/s6hKIcvoFvQ) welcoming JAWS members to the conference!
Liz Allen Fey will address working through generational issues in a way that celebrates each generation's strengths. We're also bringing back some speakers that were highly regarded, like Penny Noyes, Rich Sanders and Julie Goldberg, and Ali Edwards. We will also be offering a pre-conference course with Terri Bradley and a cyber security course with Donna Grindle. (Please note that pre-conference sessions are concurrent, so you won't be able to attend both.) The Society of OMS Administrators is approved as a PACE Program Provider by the Academy of General Dentistry.
2019 Conference Speakers
SOMSA is designated as an Approved PACE Program Provider by the Academy of General Dentistry. The formal continuing education programs of this program provider are accepted by AGD for Fellowship, membership and membership maintenance credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by a state or provincial board of dentistry or AGD endorsement. The current term of approval extends from 1/1/2018 to 12/31/2021. Provider ID #373526.
Members of SOMSA may register at discounted rates, while non-members must pay full price. Conference attendees who register early will save money on their conference registration fees.
||Fee After 3/6/2019
Your registration fee includes all seminars, plus the events listed below. For a full explanation of rates, what is and is not included in the registration fee, new member discount, and cancellation policy, see the rates page.
- Sunday: Sponsor champagn reception (5 PM to 6 PM, with prize drawing at 5:45), Registration and Networking Cocktail Reception (6 to 8 PM), plus entertainment
- Monday: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner reception
- Tuesday: Breakfast and lunch
- Wednesday: Breakfast and lunch
Optional dinner on Monday is $100 for guests—see rates page for cost.
We are offering an optional excursion on Tuesday night, April 9, which is $50 for attendees and guests ($60 after March 6, 2019), more details to come soon.
Explanation of Rates
Savannah Marriott Riverfront welcomes you with contemporary style, outstanding service and an unparalleled location. It is perched right on the water, and is connected to the world-famous River Street via the city's Riverwalk. Comprehensively redesigned rooms and suites feature sophisticated design and amenities including deluxe pillowtop beds; some offer balconies with scenic Riverfront views. Also on-site, you'll find chances to pamper yourself with a treatment at Magnolia Spa, work out in the fully equipped, 24-hour gym, or take a dip in the seasonal outdoor pool - the perfect place to cool off in the warm Savannah sun. Enjoy a fabulous meal and even better views at Blue, A Savannah Bistro, or drop by for a bite at Atrium Bar.
SOMSA Rate: $197 for single occupancy, $20 per person additional (must book by Saturday, March 6, 2019)
For hotel reservations, click here, or call 800-285-0398 (local: 912-233-7722) (mention SOMSA group rate when making reservations by phone) before Saturday, March 6, 2019, to get special group rate of $197 daily, plus $20 for each additional person. Conference rate available for three days pre- and post-conference, subject to availability.
This hotel does not provide shuttle service to or from Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport - SAV (approx. 30 minute drive). Alternate transportation options:
- Ground Transportation on airport's website: information on taxis, shuttles, rideshare services, rental cars, and public transportation available from Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (SAV)
- Estimated taxi fare: 28 USD (one way)
Overflow Hotel Information
If you are unable to book a reservation at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, we recommend the Homewood Suites Riverfront, which is 0.1 miles away (around the corner!) from our conference venue.
Location of Homewood Suites Riverfront
The map below shows how to get to the conference hotel from the recommended overflow hotel, or you can click here to see Homewood Suites Riverfront on Google Maps.
Plan Your Travel
- Pre-conference courses will begin at 8 a.m. Sunday morning and end at 1 pm.
- The conference will officially open at 6:00 p.m. Sunday night with registration and a cocktail reception with light appetizers.
- Sessions begin at 8:00 a.m. Monday morning, with breakfast before.
- Sessions end at 1:00 p.m.
- The conference will adjourn on Wednesday at 1:00 p.m..
The registration fee includes the Sunday night cocktail reception; breakfast, lunch, and a dinner reception on Monday; and breakfast and lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday.
For more on conference rates, click here.